Currier House has a fine history related to the War of 1812
On the porch of Currier House , 2012
Members of the War of 1812 re-enactment team, Asquith’s Sharpshooters of the Maryland Militia, a.k.a. Explorer Post 438 of St. Rita Catholic Church in Dundalk, Md
British Soldiers War of 1812
In 1813 when the City of Havre de Grace lost nearly 2/3s of their 60+ buildings due to the plundering and burning of the town by the British, Currier House was one of those left standing.
We found an interesting site regarding the firearms used during the War of 1812. Check it out by CLICKING HERE.
We’ll share more in the coming days.
In the meantime, visit our City’s Tourism Site for details on the upcoming weekend celebration, May 3-5.
excerpted from an article in “Lockhouse to Lighthouse” in Spring 1999 by Ellie Mencer
This article shifts slightly from the water-oriented stories of past issues and focuses on the livery stable. Jane Currier of the Currier House B&B graciously shared a handful of the thousands of pieces of papers, receipts and photographs that were found in the house during renovations.
Jane’s Aunt “Honey” lives* in Susquehanna Hills and remembers well life at the livery stable. She recalls being told that around 1892 the livery stable was located on Pearl Street. She thinks it was about that time it was moved to Franklin & Union for a short while. Then it was moved to Franklin & Stokes Street where the building still stands. (It recently housed Mergler Electric.)