excerpted from an article in “Lockhouse to Lighthouse” in Spring 1999 by Ellie Mencer
This article shifts slightly from the water-oriented stories of past issues and focuses on the livery stable. Jane Currier of the Currier House B&B graciously shared a handful of the thousands of pieces of papers, receipts and photographs that were found in the house during renovations.
Jane’s Aunt “Honey” lives* in Susquehanna Hills and remembers well life at the livery stable. She recalls being told that around 1892 the livery stable was located on Pearl Street. She thinks it was about that time it was moved to Franklin & Union for a short while. Then it was moved to Franklin & Stokes Street where the building still stands. (It recently housed Mergler Electric.)